Red Deer Public Schools offers early learning programming for children ages 3 and 4 years with priority placement for children with identified learning needs. Pre-Kindergarten is designed to increase communication, socialization and learning readiness for successful entry into Kindergarten. Limited spaces are available for community children who are typically developing with no identified learning needs.
All Pre-Kindergarten Programs include:
- Certified teacher
- Learning through play
- Literacy rich environment
- Family Oriented Programming (sample brochure)
- Multi-Disciplinary Services that include: Learning Assistance Teacher, Speech Language Pathologist, Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist and Contracted Psychology. Enhanced services for vision, deaf and hard of hearing are also available.
- Half-day programming (am or pm) 4 days a week. (No school on Fridays)
- Small class settings with low child:adult ratio.
- Individual Support Plans (ISP’s) are developed in collaboration with parents as required.
Pre-Kindergarten Programming provides a welcoming learning environment that allows young children to:
- Enhance communication skills
- Develop social and emotional skills
- Develop fine and gross motor skills
- Foster creative and cognitive development through a variety of firsthand experiences
- Develop greater independence and problem solving skills
- Foster a sense of belonging and well being
Funding from Alberta Education is for children whose learning is impacted as a result of identified severe, mild/moderate delays or English language learners. There is a fee of $200/month for children accepted into Pre-Kindergarten as a community placement with no identified learning needs.
Applying for Pre-Kindergarten
Families can complete an application online click here, pick up an application form from their neighbourhood school or click here for a PDF version. Applications are accepted beginning the first week of January for the new school year.
For further information, contact the Principal or Vice Principal at your neighbourhood school.
Currently Pre-Kindergarten Programs are Located at:
- Fairview Elementary School
- G.H. Dawe School
- Grandview Elementary School
- G.W. Smith Elementary School
- Joseph Welsh Elementary
- Mattie McCullough
- Normandeau School
- West Park Elementary School
Parents are responsible for transporting their child to and from Pre-Kindergarten.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: When can I apply for Pre-Kindergarten?
A: Applications are accepted beginning the first week of January for the following school year.
Q: How old must my child be to attend Pre-Kindergarten?
A: Four year old programming serves children who are four years of age by December 31st. Three year old programming serves children who are three years of age by September 1st and have identified severe developmental delays.
Q: Is there a fee for Pre-Kindergarten?
A: If your child is identified as having mild, moderate or severe delays, or is an English language learner, they are not required to pay a fee. For children who are typically developing, there are limited community placements at a fee of $200.00 a month.